9.24.2010

Flourless peanut butter cake

HIIIIII!

Last night I was craving peanut butter cookies, but just not any peanut butter cookie. It was a recipe that Uyen handed down to me...one she got from a home economics (that's just a weird phrase, btw) teacher at her school a few years ago. It was a simple one: 1 cup of peanut butter, 1 cup of sugar, and an egg. No flour. Mix, bake, eat.

The cravings for peanut butter cookies started around 8pm, but by 11:30 I was making peanut butter cake. Since I didn't have a recipe, I made one up based on the cookie recipe.

Here it is:

About 1 cup peanut butter
About 1 cup brown sugar
About 1 tsp of baking soda
About 1 tsp of baking powder (maybe a little less than that)
A couple pinches of salt
A splash of vanilla extract
4 large eggs

(I didn't really measure anything...I know, this is baking, I should have, but I also didn't have a recipe so it didn't really matter.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix everything except the peanut butter in a bowl. I used a fork and kind of beat it like scrambled eggs. I did it for about a minute to get it "fluffy" since there was no flour. Then add the peanut butter and beat/whip again until creamy and all the peanut butter "dissolves" into the mix. Grease a cake pan...and this is important. USE A CAKE PAN. The first time I tried this recipe I used a loaf pan and the center DID NOT cook AT ALL. Pour batter into cake pan and bake for 25 minutes. Top should be nice and brown.

I made a butterscotch sauce for it and it was pretty tastey. It's good on its own as well. I would suggest a chocolate sauce so it's like eating a deconstructed (my new favorite culinary term) Reese's peanut butter cup. If you have gluten-intolerant friends, they'll love you for this.


The glamour shot


In the pan


Drenched in butterscotch sauce

1 comment: