7.15.2009

jerkface chicken for jenny-fa

Jenny-fa requested that I make jerk chicken for her birthday dinner, so I happily obliged. I used a recipe from the New York Times that I changed to taste. I leave the oil out because even though it makes the chicken really tender, it also makes it greasy. Since I don't have a charcoal grill, I cook it in the oven then put it under the broiler for about 5 minutes at the end to char the chicken. It adds a little something. I also switch out the scotch bonnet peppers for jalapenos because my crap grocery store doesn't carry them. I'm sure you could find them at Whole Foods or some shit, but I like to shop with the common folk at Key.



I also did some jerk tofu for the veggies. I used the same marinade then seared the tofu on each side for 3 minutes.


Coincidentally, Tyler Florence, whose show I DVR, had an episode this week on jerk chicken in which he created a stove-top smoker. Can't wait to try that.

I also made the accompanying New York Times recipe for pigeon peas and coconut rice, which is soo easy and soo good. I also made pickled red cabbage, which is as easy as sauteeing some garlic and a 1/4 white onion sliced, then throwing in one shredded red cabbage along with a cup of white vinegar and 3/4 cup of brown sugar.

Jenny-fa brought over the cutest mini cupcakes that were yum yum (peanut butter and honey; red velvet). And Olivia brought over delicious gelato from El Laboratorio (watermelon; espresso). I'm not much of a baker, so it's fantastic when people bring desserts.



Happy birthday, Jenny-fa!

See ya around, jerks!

2 comments:

  1. you made getting old delicious and fun. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sarah frances kuhnJuly 23, 2009 at 3:37 PM

    yay! I was just sayin I want to make jerk chix...I think I may attempt this on the grill. thanks for the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete