6.21.2009

Vietnamese food with a Vietnamese friend

I went to San Jose to drop off a car I borrowed to go camping last weekend. While I was there, Eugene called and asked if I wanted to go to Denny's with him for a late lunch. Of course, I said. I love places like Denny's. I know the food's gonna be crap, but I love the chain restaurantiness of it.

So we're at Denny's (the one on S. Bascom right across the street from where Uyen used to live) and it's 3pm, so not very busy at all. If you've been to a Denny's before, you won't be surprised that we didn't get served for a long while. During this time, Eugene told me about this Vietnamese restaurant he really likes and we both got to wishing we had chosen Vietnamese instead. So I convinced Eugene to drive downtown to the other restaurant instead. Meanwhile, no one has come to our table yet so it made it that much easier to get up and leave. Also, one of the three girls in the booth next to us was on the phone talking about how they're eating at Denny's right now and are going to a pool party right after and then go dancing after that. WOOOOOOOO!

Anyway, I'm glad we got Vietnamese instead because I LOVE PHO. Eugene got some weird dish where the pho noodles were deep fried and the sauce and veggies on it were more Chinese in texture and flavor than Vietnamese. Whatever Catfish wants, I guess. FYI, the restaurant, Dac Phuc, made their own hot sauce which is really, really hot. Another FYI, I went to Johnny Rockets afterwards and got a strawberry shake.

Here are the pictures.

pho, before
Pho before.

pho, after
Pho after. Notice how dark the broth got. It's a mixture of too much hoisin sauce and too much of the really, really hot hot sauce.

eugene with fried pho
And then there's Eugene/Catfish with his fried pho.

3 comments:

  1. i went to have pho with nhu-anh on friday and almost blogged about that. is this all we eat? pho? maybe we should have named our blog phlog. or pholog. i dunno. i'm rambling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'd be happy with pho for the rest of my life. i just had lunch, and now i'm craving pho again

    ReplyDelete
  3. **Yo MEng !** dat boi so handsome! do ma !

    ReplyDelete